Braces can make it hard to eat many foods. Luckily, there are plenty of recipes that can make foods easier to eat that typically give you trouble when wearing braces. These braces friendly recipes were designed to improve your eating experience and give you alternatives to foods that can be hard, chewy, sticky, and crunchy.
Kraus Orthodontics has the knowledge and expertise to provide all our patients with the right orthodontic care. We have services for juniors, teens, and adults and can find the right solution for you. Here are some braces friendly recipes to make your time with braces more enjoyable.
Pretzels can often be too chewy to eat comfortably with braces. With this recipe, you’ll have an easier time getting that delicious pretzel through your teeth.
¾ cup warm water
½ envelope yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
Pinches of salt or cinnamon-sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, mix salt and flour with a large spoon. Stir 5 minutes then mix with yeast.
- Flour your hands and shape pretzels.
- Brush them with the beaten egg and place on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle them with salt or cinnamon sugar if you desire.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 425 degrees.
Oven Baked Fish Filets
Fish is a great alternative to tougher meats. It tends to be soft and easy on your mouth.
1 pound fresh or frozen fish fillets
Non-stick vegetable spray
1 tablespoon lemon juice salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
¼ cup bread crumbs
- If using frozen fish fillets, thaw thoroughly.
- Cut the fillets into the serving-size of your choice.
- Coat a shallow baking dish with the non-stick vegetable spray.
- Place the fillets in the greased baking dish and sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low-medium heat.
- Add the flour to the butter and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the milk into the mixture until it thickens and bubbles.
- Pour the butter mixture over the fish fillets then top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the fish starts to flake easily.
3 Cheese Macaroni
Cheese can be sticky and get caught in your braces. This recipe can minimize that issue and satisfy your mac and cheese cravings.
2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
Water for boiling
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup bread crumbs or dry stove-top stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium pot boil macaroni in water until ready then drain.
- In a 3-quart greased casserole, stir together the macaroni and milk.
- Sprinkle with the cheeses then stir all together.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Enjoy Your Meal and Come into Kraus Orthodontics!
These braces friendly recipes are delicious and easy to make. No matter what you make, however, always be sure to clean your braces after eating. For all your orthodontic care be sure to contact Kraus Orthodontics here or call us at 469.619.9959.